Spend some time developing a better understanding of the context of remote and rural health, broadly and in relation to the specific community you are working with.
Below we have identified some useful resources. It addition to these and those identified in this section, you should find out more about the area or community you’re working in. This will give you a better understanding of the particular local context, and the issues you should be mindful of. Begin with the local shire office, library and tourist centre.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Liaw ST, Kilpatrick S (eds). A Text Book of Australian Rural Health. Canberra: Australian Rural Health Education Network; 2008.
- Dade Smith J. Australia's Rural and Remote Health: A Social Justice Perspective. Tertiary Press; 2007.
- D Wilkinson, I Blue, editors. The New Rural Health: Oxford University Press; 2002.
- Bourke L, Sheridan C, Russell U, Jones G, DeWitt D, Liaw D. Developing a Conceptual Understanding of Rural Health Practice. Australian Journal of Rural Health, vol 12, pp. 181–186; 2004.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare